The Eastern Shore Branch of the Maryland Section of ASCE was formed in 2010 and its assigned members are from the eastern shore counties of Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico and Worcester. The Branch offers opportunities to members for networking and professional development. It holds regular Technical Dinner Meetings in which Specialists are invited to speak on topics of professional interest. It also offers opportunities for members to earn PDHs toward maintenance of PE licensure requirements. Members have actively supported and promoted Civil Engineering and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in area schools and acted as mentors and judges in science and technology competitions and activities among middle and high school students. It initiated and continues to support the annual ENGINEERING/STEM EXPO in Wicomico County schools. The EXPO was initially started to coincide withthe Engineering Week activities.
The Branch will continue efforts to increase the number of members actively participating in activities, improve its services by offering highly sought after seminars and courses, consolidate its role promoting engineering and STEM activities in local schools and grow the Younger Member Group.
Some of the activities implemented by the Branch have included:
- Regular Dinner Meetings with technical presentations covering topics that included local, coastal and international engineering projects. A presentation was also made on the new PDH requirements for renewal of the Maryland Professional Engineers License as well as a seminar titled Building a Better Life – Concrete Steps to Success.
- Webinars on Wind Design and Ethics
- Participation in the annual Engineering/STEM EXPO
- Members acting as Judges in the annual Eastern Shore Regional LEGO Tournament.
- Financial support for ACE Mentoring Program and the Wicomico STEM EXPO
- Field Trip to Chesapeake Ship Building